Moretum, Garlic and Herb Spread
An ancient recipe using garlic, from Mark Grant's Roman Cookery, 1999, p. 73.
- Four bulbs of garlic
- 200 grams/7 grams of feta cheese
- 3 celery stalks
- A large bunch of fresh coriander leaves
- A small bunch of fresh rue leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- sea salt
- Break the bulbs up into cloves, spread these out on a baking ray and cook under a hot grill for five minutes.
- Cook cloves under a hot grill for five minutes, turning them over two or three times to avoid burning. Leave to cool for a couple of minutes, then squeeze out the garlic flesh from the skins.
- Roughly chop the celery, cheese and herbs. Put them all in a food processor with the grilled garlic and blend until smooth. Add wine, vinegar, and olive oil, and blend again briefly.
- Serve in a bowl as a spread for breads such as lagana or catillus ornatus.
Spaghetti with Garlic and Olive Oil
ABC of Aradia: Garlic
Main Index Page